Arts Society King presents
the 2023 Studio Tour King Information and Application Package
A. General Studio Tour Information
Arts Society King (ASK) is a not-for-profit organization located in King Township, Ontario established in 2005. ASK’s office and gallery space is located in the King Heritage and Cultural Centre in King City. The organization’s driving Vision is “Enriching King Township through arts and culture for all” and its Mission is “to promote, support and advocate for arts and culture through effective partnerships and innovative events and programs”. ASK is an arts organization like no other with a huge following and municipal acknowledgment and support.
This is the 18th year for the Studio Tour King. In 2005, local artists Marianne Broome and Garry Conway worked together to initiate plans for the first Studio Tour that would showcase the diverse talents of our acclaimed King artists. They were joined by other artists, and a group of passionate volunteers, who all worked tirelessly to coordinate the first studio tour event in King Township in 2006. The ASK Studio Tour King now has its widest reach ever, attracting not only artists eager to participate in the event, but also a wide array of art enthusiasts who anticipate visiting the artists during the studio tour every year.
Studio Tour King will extend throughout King Township and locations will be a combination of artist studios and public locations for those artists without studio. The goal is always to cluster as many artists as possible, in accessible areas throughout the Township, to increase event visibility and overall attendance. Public locations will be in: King City, Schomberg and Nobleton or as designated by Arts Society King. If you require a public location or guest studio location, the committee will place you based on the following criteria: availability, balance to the tour, how much space you require, fairness to returning artists in terms of previous placements, and your medium. Residential artists are encouraged and welcomed to bring forward guest artists. They are required to submit a separate application.
We are pleased to announce that this year’s studio tour applicants will be juried by a group of artists. Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive an official confirmation. Only after your participation is confirmed will your payment be processed. Once processed, there are no refunds.
Please read the entire package. The key information points are:
- The Studio Tour King is April 22 and 23, 2023 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
- As a participating artist, you MUST help promote the tour (section B)
- This is ‘AN ART EXPERIENCE THROUGHOUT KING TOWNSHIP’ (section C)
- See important dates to help keep you on track (section D)
- You must submit high quality images of five different examples of your work for the jury and use in brochure and marketing AND a short biography (100 words maximum)
- Art Society King membership fees and Studio Tour fees are due at time of application
B. Artist Involvement and Responsibilities
Arts Society King has thrived through the years with support from volunteers. The Studio Tour volunteer committee will rely heavily on the support and participation of each and every artist. We are asking that each artist make a contribution to further expand the market reach.
At minimum each artist is required to:
- Pick-up and deliver a minimum of 100 brochures to areas outside of King Township.
- Follow the Studio Tour King Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/studiotourking/
- Create Facebook posts that include samples of your work / images, your artist biography or information about your artistry process, and tag to the studio tour Facebook page @studiotourking must appear in your post. Once ASK receives the notification, we will share your information to the studio tour Facebook page and to the Arts Society King Facebook page. Many other groups share and like our pages so the marketing domino effect is an important aspect of our marketing efforts.
- Utilize your own social media channels with this same concept (Instagram, Twitter etc.).
- Invite your colleagues, former clients, potential clients, galleries, friends and family to see you at the Studio Tour. A special invitation will be created and sent to all participating artists that can be easily forwarded. Please email out the brochure in advance (.pdf will be provided).
- Post the Studio Tour brochure and date and locations on your website or social media (if applicable).
- Pick-up and set-up Studio Tour lawn signs prior to the tour (we will provide a map and further instructions).
C. An Art Experience Throughout King Township
It is important for our event to stand out. Have you considered demonstrating an aspect of your work during the tour? This can be done live or via technology. Another option is to use social media/technology prior to the event to show the beginnings of a piece of your art or the process, perhaps bring that piece to the tour so your followers can see the final reveal. These are all suggestions with the goal for each artist to be motivated to share what is unique about himself/herself and to create excitement and interest in the tour and his/her studio. If you have other ideas, please feel free to share as we appreciate any thoughts and effort into creating a successful studio tour experience. King has a fantastic arts scene so let’s continue to celebrate OUR art experience.
D. Important Studio Tour Dates (this may be updated and re-distributed)
Friday, December 2 Application package (all components) submitted to ASK
Tuesday, December 13 Acceptance emails will be sent
Early March 2023 Pick-up min.100 copies of brochure for distribution outside of King
March 1, 2023 Promotion in ASK’s MOSAiC Magazine, distribution 10,000
April 20, 2023 Studio Tour lawn signs and event info from ASK
April 21 – 22, 2023 Put your lawn signs out in advance of the weekend!
April 22 & 23, 2023 STUDIO TOUR KING
April 25 – April 27, 2023 Drop signs and data collection sheets back off at ASK
E. Studio Tour King Criteria and Guidelines (2 pages, signature required)
1) Must be a Professional Artist as defined by the Canadian Council for the Arts. (canadacouncil.ca/glossary/professional-artist)
An artist who: has specialized training in the artistic field (not necessarily in academic institutions); is recognized as a professional by his or her peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition); is committed to devoting more time to artistic activity, if possible financially; has a history of public presentation or publication.
2) The studio or location must be appropriate for public attendance and have the required display equipment/furniture to properly display the work. The Art Society King Studio Tour Committee may require a visit to the premises to determine the appropriateness.
3) Artistic disciplines for the studio tour are generally considered to be “Fine Art,” which may include painting, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, photography, glasswork, jewellery, fiber art and mixed media.
4) You must be an Artist Member of Arts Society King to be eligible to participate in the Studio Tour. A Membership Application is included in this package or can be completed online. In addition to the Studio Tour, there are several benefits to membership and we encourage your participation in other initiatives. If you have already renewed your 2023 ASK membership, please do not complete the form again.
5) The Artist must have his / her location open and be present at all times between 10:00 am to 4:00 pm on both days of the studio tour.
6) The artist may display only his or her original artwork and reproductions thereof from his / her original designs as described on the application form (no kits, copies of artwork by others or the work of others).
7) Artists with studios must have Liability Insurance with coverage of at least $2 million for admitting the public into the studio. Guest artists in studio must require their own liability coverage separate from the host artist. Proof of the required insurance coverage must be provided with the application.
8) The Studio Tour Committee does not assume responsibility for any food or beverage served by the artist to his / her visitors during the studio tour. It is the responsibility of the artist to check with their insurance company with regard to any restrictions.
9) The artist shall behave in a reasonable and professional manner at all times while participating in the studio tour and related events.
10) The organizers reserve the right to decline an application for participation or to have an artist removed from the studio tour for breach of this agreement. The organizers also reserve the right to rescind this agreement.
11) Once accepted and your payment processed as of December 15, there will be no refunds.
12) The organizers of the studio tour and related events, their elected officials, directors, members, employees and agents assume no responsibility or liability for any loss, damage or injuries of any kind occurring or suffered either before or after or during participation in the studio tour or related events. The organizers, their elected officials, directors, members, employees and agents do not assume any liability or responsibility for damage to artwork or any other property owned by the artist and/or financial loss that may be incurred by the artist.
13) Note the Important Dates sheet located on page 2. If anything changes, we will notify you.
14) Mail, submit online, or drop off your entire application package by December 2, 2022 (11:59 p.m.).
15) Please email NEW high quality images of five examples of your art and your short professional biography (100 words max.) to studiotour@ArtsSocietyKing.ca by December 2, 2022. Keep in mind rectangular images may be cropped to a 1.75-2″ x 1.75-2″ square (max size) for the brochure. POOR QUALITY IMAGES may result in a REJECTION by the jury. Consider the value of getting your artwork professionally photographed.